Thursday, July 4, 2013

Let Freedom ring

Today is that post where I talk about things that most people don't realize, know, or even remember about me without my careful and frequent reminders.  My first year and a half of college I spent as a Cadet in the Air force ROTC.

Can you find me in this picture?  I'm in there, along with a lot of wonderful friends, past and present.  These people are the ones I laughed, played, learned, and grew with.  These are the people who taught me what it means to be a leader, what it means to be willing to sacrifice self for the greater good, and what it means to have pride in your Country.

Outwardly, I probably don't come off as the most "Amurikah, F**k yeah!" person you'll ever meet.  I don't get teary eyed when I hear "Proud to be an American"either.  However, I will never forget the times we would be standing in formation and hear someone yell something hateful our way.  I will never forget our cadet commander telling me that what I was pledging to protect was that jerk's right to be angry with his military.

Now more than ever, I find myself identifying with those people who showed dissent.  I would never disrespect members of the armed services in that way, but I can understand why those people were angry.  And I feel intense relief knowing that I have the opportunity to have these thoughts, these feelings, because people are willing to go out and fight for something better than tyranny and oppression.

Today I thank all of my friends and family members who have given their time and their service towards upholding the Constitution of the United States.  I thank them for enduring the hatred and the negativity.  I thank them for spending long hours away from their families, and for making hard decisions.  You are all in my heart, and I am so grateful for what you have given to me.

Happy Independence Day, everyone.  I hope that whatever you choose to do today, you remember that there have been countless battles waged over your ability to make these choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)