Friday, January 6, 2012

What would you change?

Have you all ever been over to The Shine Project?  Ashley is a super inspiring woman on a mission to change underprivileged schools nationwide.  She is a super motivator, and I look forward to her daily inspiring posts.  For the New Year, Ashley is starting a series of weekly challenges to help people become their best versions of themselves, and talks about the journey of change, that it can not be overnight, it must be slow.

This week, the challenge was to choose the one thing in the world that you would change if you could, and then come up with steps that you could take this week to make that change happen.

This challenge made me think for a long time.  The thing that kept coming to mind was, "What would you do if you knew you could not fail?"  This is a question that has been asked of me many times.  However, it was always asked within the context of a situation.  "What would you do with your Mary Kay business if you knew you could not fail?"  "What would your exercise goals be if you knew you could not fail?"  When I thought about all of the things I would do if I knew I could not fail, I came up with "I would change the world by resolving our relationships (as a society) with food."

That's me on the left.  As you can tell, my relationship with food has not always been the best.




I think that America has a very toxic relationship with food.  You know those friends you have who are just poison to you?  Those people who drag you down over and over again, and give very little in return?  People, we have those relationships with food.  The good news is, there is only one human brain involved in our relationship with food, meaning it is in our power to heal these relationships.  Unfortunately, America is not an isolated society, and the results of our food relatioships has spread across the world faster than the black plague spread across Europe.

When I thought about what I could do to make the first small step in this change, I realized I had already made it:  I started this blog to help myself lead a more balanced life, and share with others the steps I am taking to get there.  As a rejection and failure phobe, this is a big thing for me to put it all out there like this.  So beyond that, what was I willing to do?  So far, I really had not put myself and my blog out there to people other than my friends and family.  The next step for me was, naturally, to promote my blog to ::gasp:: people I don't know, and reach out to out bloggers sharing similar messages.  So this week, I started making comments on blog posts that I found interesting, useful, or meaningful.  I don't know why, but commenting on a strangers' blog seems very intimidating to me.  I think it is, in part, because I don't want my comment to be taken in the wrong way, and it seems more likely that a stranger will misconstrue my comments.  But I did it anyway, and you know what?  I didn't get any emails saying that I had mortally offended them, or calling me a bad person.  Success!

So now I ask you:  How would you change the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)