Friday, January 20, 2012

Something New

No, I'm not collecting "somethings" for a wedding yet.  Someday.  This week, the Shine Project challenge was to try something you had never before done  It couldn't simply be a new restaurant, or going to a new movie.  It had to be a never-ever, something off the map for you.  It took me a while to come up with an idea.  Many of the never-evers on my list either require tons of planning and prep, or are summer-time activities (you can't climb a fourteener in January!)  But at last I settled on painting classes.  I keep getting these groupon ad living social deals about taking painting classes.  I think about it for 10 seconds or so, decide it isn't for me, and **delete** it's gone.  But part of me was whispering that it wanted to try.  Part of me still wishes I had more talent with a pant brush.

So I googled painting studios, and found a very cute place in Boulder called Posh Splat painting studio.  They had a ton of available classes, and their prices weren't too bad.  So, I took the plunge, and $70 later, A and I were committed to a Thursday night painting class.

"Western Skies" was the theme for our class.  Our instructor painted the one on the right during our class

I went into the class remembering all of the kind euphemisms of the late Bob Ross (may he rest in peace), and found a lovely environment of supportive people.  Somehow, A ad I ended up being the only people in the class, and we had a great time working with our instructor on our paintings.  A and I are both very critical of our own work usually, so this was a good exercise in self-acceptance and love.  Oh, and a good exercise in who could come up with the most Bob Ross-like things to say.  The man was a genius, I tell you.  The two other staff members present besides our instructor were also so kind, and very encouraging.  A and I were surprised that in just under 2 hours, we had each created our own "Western Sky."


Not only was it fun, but it was a good excuse to have a date night.  Score!  Not only did I knock out a challenge for Shine Project, but I met my goal of having a real date with A.

Did you try anything new this week?  Oh, and A and I would love to hear which of our VERY amateur paintings you like best!  Please cast your vote!

1 comment:

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)