Thursday, February 2, 2012

What makes a place home?

I've been thinking about what makes a specific place home to me.  In college, I was in a Sorority, and that place became home to me.  Those women became my family.  So much so, that after I graduated and moved back to CO, I wondered if I had made the right choice. 
But then again, Colorado was home too.  How can you deny that the place that has been your permanent state of residence for over 20 years is home?  What about my Grandparent's house, the one that I always loved to visit and that my cousins still own?

Check out THAT awesome wallpaper!
Home means a lot of things.  But maybe what it means most to me is that feeling of belonging.  It doesn't matter how long you are there, all that matters is that the people who surround you love you, accept you, want the best for you.  Home is a place where there is no pretense, you can just be who you want and need to be.  It allows you to express exactly who you are at that time in your life.

I think that's why the home environment is so important to me.  I don't want to come home and have to be myself in someone else's space.  That is a difficult thing to accomplish.  My style and taste may not resemble anything anyone else might ever find desirable.  In fact, the rest of the world could find it hideous, for all I care.  I just want that space to reflect me and make me happy.

What images or places remind you of home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)