Saturday, February 25, 2012

Kristen Tested. Sheldon Approved

If you watch "The Big Bang Theory", you know that Sheldon takes the fiber content of his breakfast cereals very seriously.

Well Sheldon, you're not the only one.  Meet the fiber monster:

This, my friends is what 21 grams of fiber looks like.  Wanna know what's in it?  Oh, I knew you did!

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup wheat bran
2 Tbs ground flaxseed
1/4 cup Pecans
1/2 cup blueberries
1 small banana

So, what you do is you put the oats, flax, and bran in a pot together with 1 3/4 cups water.  I let mine soak while I'm showering so that it's a little creamier.  You can skip that step if you want.  It's your party.  Then go ahead and crank your burner to high, and wait anxiously for the pot to boil while staring at the clock and hoping you're going to have time to grab coffee before work.  Once that puppy is boiling, drop the heat to low and let it cook another 5 minutes or so.  Stir it up a couple of times while it cooks so that you don't burn the bottom.

Once it's cooked to your liking, plop it in a bowl, top with fruit and nuts, and you're good to go (so stay close to a restroom)!

On a side note, this is a very substantial breakfast.  I only do this on days when I know I have a big workout.  I don't stress over calories, but I d try to be mindful of my carb consumption, and even when you factor the fiber in, it's still very high.  So if this is too big for you cut the grains in half.  You'll still be packing a bunch of fiber and good nutrition!


On another side note, I fell like kinda a pig that I have to tell you my Kristen-sized portion might be too big for some (ok, many) people.  Yikes.  I guess that's why I work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)