1) Peyton Manning. Oh my word, you would think that we see him as the flippin' Messiah. within 2 weeks of our buddy Peyton coming to Denver, he had already recorded the "welcome to Denver" monologue for the trains at the airport. I mean, why in the world is he doing the speech that has typically been done by our Governor? He isn't really even "from" here!
Now, I was living in IN when the Colts won the Superbowl. It was a big deal. I had a lot of friends that went to the big parade, and did all of the celebrating and junk. IN had Manning fever pretty badly too. But I don't ever remember it being nearly as bad as it is here.
2) Missy Franklin. It is an outright sin to live in CO and not love this girl. She is our little olympic heroine with a sterling GPA, a sunny attitude, and class coming out her you-know-what. She just started a project with one of Warren Miller's sons about doing a documentary about disabled individuals learning how to SCUBA. Oh, and she's tall, blonde, and beautiful. We just love her.
3) Microbreweries: I have read A LOT of blogs that all seem to claim that their area is the mecca for microbreweries. They are all wrong. Sorry, but it's true. If you want good quality microbrewed or microdistilled booze, Colorado is where it is at. Ammon and I could go to a different microbrewery or microdistillery within a 30 mile radius of our house each week for one year, and not hit all of them. In fact, I'm now really tempted to do just that, and call it something epic... like Growler-thon 2013.
This is a growler. It is a glass jug specific to a brewery, that you take to the brewery, and they fill it with delicious handcrafted beer. Our local favorite brewery is less than a mile from our house.
From a different micro-brewery/pub. Though this is cider, not beer.
4) The Mountains and the outdoors: Growing up, my most memorable shopping trips seemed to revolve around various sporting goods and outdoor stores. Eastern Mountain Sports, REI, Performance Bicycle, Fly Fishing shops, Boulder Ski Deals, etc. Those were always fun, because they were the precursor to spending lots of time outside. If there is a way to enjoy the outdoors, regardless of the weather or season, we will make it happen, and we will smile while we do it. After all, how could you not with views like these?
5) Anything that can carry the Colorado stamp: We are so proud of anything that got its start, or made a name for itself in Colorado. The Fray and The Lumineers are OUR bands, and always will be. We shop at Farmer's markets and love them, because we can chat with OUR farmers, and buy food grown on OUR fields. Chipotle, and Noodles and Company were started here, and it's tough to find someone around here that doesn't know it. Oh, and we have an awesome amphitheater called Red Rocks. It's a pretty big deal, I guess. At least, we think it is, and bands are always saying it's their favorite venue. Even Mr. Mraz, who shot this video there.
Alright, I've bragged enough for one day. But doesn't it make you want to come visit REALLY badly, if only to hear Peyton himself welcome you to Denver?