Monday, November 12, 2012

A reason for the season?

Blogland, I'm blaming you for what is about to happen.  You see, when it comes to the Christmas season, I am usually about as eager to participate as the Grinch.  I hate the mandated 4-6 weeks of Christmas music.  I hate the crowds.  I hate the pressure of finding awesome presents for EVERYONE all at once.  And really, the idea of spending an entire year hoarding presents for one day seems just as awful as baring the crowds.



But a funny thing is happening to me this year, still weeks ahead of Thanksgiving, my most favorite of all of the Holidays.  I find my heart growing 3 sizes for that holiday which has been marked by stress and cheesy music for so long. 

Yesterday I found myself shopping eagerly for Christmas ornaments.  Yes, I am participating in an ornament swap.  But these weren't just for that.  These were the "oooooooh, this would look sooooooo cute on our tree" kind of thoughts.  Last year was the first time anyone has talked the grown-up me into a tree.  Ammon becomes as giddy as a little elf the day after Thanksgiving.  That man has as much cheer (after Thanksgiving) as any self-respecting Who.  But even he isn't getting super-stoked yet.  Nope, for that, I'm blaming all of you who have been mentioning Christmas subtly, and not-so-subtly since June.  You know who you are.  And it is all of you who are to blame for this:

Yes... yes that is a child's size XL snowman turtleneck, topped by the sassiest snowman vest this world has ever seen, compliments of the local ARC.  An 80 year old woman complimented it, just as I was snapping a photo to text to my co-worker.  And I knew right then, that this vest was a keeper for certain.  Because as it turns out, one of my biggest reasons for the season is tacky holiday wear.  I have determined this years that I love it dearly.  I may even wear holiday sweaters more than on our requisite "tacky Christmas sweater" day at work, because this was not my only tacky acquisition today.  In fact, the other acquisition might be even better.  But we'll save that other sweater for a rainy day, when we're all needing an extra dose of pick-me-up.

Move over, fashion bloggers.  I have the market on the latest and greatest in gently-used holiday wear.

11 comments:

  1. I'm cracking up! I love you Kristen! Please wear outfits like that everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol LOVE that turtleneck. Tacky holiday wear is the best - when I was teaching, it was my favorite thing to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bahaha that is fantastic. Christmas sweaters like yours are hard to find around these parts. The college student population has a constant eye out for those things year round. I am so jealous of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so funny that you wrote this because I have been the EXACT same way! I loathe Christmas but I'm trying really hard this year to get into it. I even bought reindeer antler headbands and snow in a can over the weekend...who am I?!

    Val @ KnotTiedDown.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kristen,
    I'm afraid we just can't be bff's anymore. You see, I can't be friends with someone who wears tacky Christmas sweaters. Also, I've been listening almost exclusively to Christmas music since November 1st. Because it's my favorite. And, as you are already aware, I'm very nearly done with my Chrsistmas shopping.

    So where does this leave us? Just sometimes friend that bond of hoarding? Can we move past this epic rift in our budding relationship?

    {tune in next week for another cliffhanger...}
    Love,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. this just makes me laugh and laugh and I am in the worst mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHA. Oh, man. I am in stitches. You are supercalifragilisticespealAWESOME. Rock the sweater, girlfrannn. Rock it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhhhh, I just love this post! The vest, hilarious! May I borrow it?? PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm seriously dying!! That vest is AMAZING. I'm coming to CO to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)