Monday, September 9, 2013

Half marathon week one and why I like science

I don't feel like it's appropriate that Monday is upon us again so soon.  I only just got caught up on blogs, returning emails, and laying on my couch

Last week was my first week of Training for the Beer Run.  Since I wasn't able to run the whole way on my last half, I'm really motivated to do better this time, so I figured I should probably, ya know, train and stuff.  I went back and forth on what plan to use, picked one, and then decided against it.  It called for 3 3-mile runs during the week, plus a long weekend run.  I picked that plan because of the distances of the long runs, and that they top out at 12 miles instead of 10.  However, I don't like the idea of that much running during the week, as I tend to need a lot of cross training in order to not die.  So I'm playing mash-ups with a few different plans, and we'll see how that turns out.  Here are my week 1 workouts.  Scheduled weekends are in blue, actual workouts completed are in green:

Monday:  Cross Training / Strength Training workout at the track
Tuesday:  3 mile run / 3 mile run
Wednesday: 2 mile run / 2 mile track workout: sprints
Thursday:  3 mile run & strength training / 1.5 mile walk with Geneva
Friday:  Rest / Boom!  I rested.
Saturday:  4 mile run / 4 mile run
Sunday:  45 minutes cross training45 minute super-easy hike with Ammon

 From our Sunday hike.  Ammon is perfecting the art of the selfie, slowly but surely.

This week I want to ramp up my cross training.  My cardio really suffered from taking August off of working out, and I can hardly run 2 miles without a break.  That won't do.

 

And now on to fun stuff, like the Blogtember post prompt of the day.  The prompt was to take a short Myers-Briggs personality test, and to write about our results.  I have taken several of these tests over the years, and always gotten different results.  I don't think they can really predict general lifetime personality traits, but more of who you are at a given time in your life.  My most recent results were INTJ; introverted, intuitive, thinking, judging.  Very accurate to who I am right this moment.  Some of the hallmarks of an INTJ are that they tend to have very specific areas of knowledge, are perfectionists, tend towards careers in science and engineering, and like things that can integrate ingenuity and hard facts.  On the down side, we find relationships hard, because social niceties just don't always seem to make sense and take up an awful lot of time better spent on other pursuits. 

Like I said, this doesn't always describe me, but it describes me at this particular stage of life.  I almost always end up as an XNFJ... an individual who isn't introverted or extroverted, intuitive, feeling, and judging.  Empathy for others, patient.  A teacher, through and through.  But for whatever reason, when I am worn down, that all goes out the window, and INTJ becomes my dominant personality type.

Do you believe in personality types?  Or does yours change all the time?  What workout goals do you have this week?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so bad at standardised tests that they almost always get my personality 1000% wrong. This is sad, but also true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to rock your half!! I'm an INFJ. The rarest of them all. Go figure. I've taken the test several times and its always the same outcome.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)