Monday, December 3, 2012

I probably gained 20 pounds over the weekend

Oh wow, Monday, where the heck did you come from?  I'm off work today for my second day off (instead of having Saturday off), but I feel for those of you who are working.  So I'm going to do my best to convince you to spend half of your work day looking up travel options to CO.  All of you have an open invitation to sleep on my couch and let me cook for you.  Just let me know.

So on Saturday after coming home from work, I was trying to find something to do with kohlrabi.  For those of you who don't know what a kohlrabi is, you are in the vast majority of the world.  It's a plant that is a cross between a turnip and a cabbage.  It ha kind of a sweet, garlicky, potato-ey thing going on, so I was perusing the potato casserole recipes on pinterest, and I came accross this gem of a recipe.




These are called "crack potatoes".  They looked fairly promising.  However, I can't cook something 100% by a recipe.  So we modified like crazy, and made "kohlrabi crack".  Changes:

1) Onion soup mix instead of the ranch mix, because Ammon is anti-ranch
2) One pound of turkey bacon instead of bacon bits, because I am morally opposed to bacon bits.  We should probably not talk about this, I know most people disagree with me
3) Shredded kohlrabi instead of hash browns.  However, I think that most normal people would use the frozen hash browns the recipe calls for

And this is what it looked like

We were so excited to eat it, I didn't take a picture until we'd already eaten half.  Oh hey little foot photo-bombing the picture.  Way to be.

After dinner, one of my amazing bridesmaids and co-workers, Emily, came over to do nails.  I had been eyeing this dessert for a while, and decided that we would be partaking.




And oh. em. gee.  I did make these by the book, because that's important with baking.  Baking does not equal cooking.  Wanna see our awesomeness???


If you make nothing else you've ever found on Pinterest, MAKE THESE.  So easy, so good.

And then dinner tonight... homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles.  I used a generic egg noodle recipe, but I substituted whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour the recipe called for.

I should probably practice my cutting skills.  My noodles are super uneven.

As you can see, they were also gigantic.  But delicious.  Don't worry, I'll be an expert by the time you come visit.

So remember, if you're flying, you want to come through DIA.  If you're driving, we can get you some basic information about where to get your google maps to land you at.  But please consider coming to visit.  I don't think your tastebuds (or stomach) will regret it.

9 comments:

  1. No joke, I looked up airfare before I read this post. You know I want to come in March. Looks like it'll cost me between $450 and $600 to get there, economy style. Of course, moving up to business class tacks on another $1,000. What the what??

    I died for that cake, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kristen.

    Don't get a big head or anything, but you really are my favorite blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't even tempt me, or I'll be on travelocity before you know it. This girl needs a vacation and some good food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude. I'm on my way.


    ... I wish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kohlrabi, interesting! I've never heard of that before. All of these recipes look amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On day my love, one day I shall come visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a friend who has grown Kohlrabi in his garden for 20 years. His Mom used to make a pie with it, kind of like Rhubarb. I have no idea what he does with it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)