First, if you didn't see the whole Justin Timberlake video vanguard performance, watch it here, care of Mr. Perez Hilton. Smoochies and thanks for uploading it right away, Perez.
And now here are my points, in a numbered list format for your perusing pleasure.
1) The lighting was TERRIBLE. I could hardly see any of the guys. I think this may have been done on purpose, which I will address in some of my follow-up points.
2) It was too short, and WHY THE EFF was it in the middle of the entire thing??? Would have been so much better as a stand-alone, or at the beginning or end of the whole performance. I would have loved it at the beginning, because then he could have time-lined his rise to fame. And if he did that, he should have made a nod to his MMC days too.
3) Our favorite hotties made yet another questionable wardrobe choice. I mean...
4) The dancing was a little sloppy. I understand that times are different now, and only JT gets a lot of time and practice in wowing a crowd. But you would think these guys could probably still do the choreography to "Bye, Bye, Bye" in their sleep, backwards, underwater, on a boat, or in a moat. You would think they could do it on a train, or in a plane. Instead, Lance somehow ended up lunging across the stage madly after having missed the "stage right" cue. And they weren't quite... in sync if you catch my drift.
5) JC's face looks wrong. Too pointy and angular at the bottom. I was also annoyed that he tried to steal an extra moment for himself at the end of the tribute. You had your chance, it didn't work out. Sorry buddy, I don't love you any less, I just only love you for the feelings you inspired in me when I was 13-18. Also, none of them are as trim and hottie-mc-tottie like as they once were. I imagine this contributes to the lack of appropriate lighting.
6) Nobody licked or humped the stage, Digital Get Down style. Good or bad, it did not happen. I welcome your opinions on if this was a benefit or detractor to this performance.
7) The cutaway to the celebrities... I was frustrated that they chose Taylor Swift, she seems too young to fully appreciate *NSYNC. They should have cut to Beyonce, or "Britney, b***h". In fact, that would have been awesome. I would kill to see Britney jamming out during a JT performance, given their "history" and all. In addition, I felt that it was disrespectful that the One Direction kid was drinking beer. *NSYNC are your elders, put the dang beer down when they're showing you how it's done. Even with the questionable outfits and the sub-par dancing, they were still a million times better than you, and they didn't count on auto-tune for that shit. Boom.
8) I appreciated their use of the old school choreography (even when it wasn't perfect. I'm just a ball of conflicted feelings and emotions today). How could anybody not? I mean... they even did the lean. The lean that made all of us girls swoon just a little bit. It is a far cry from the BSB "we're too old to dance, so we'll sit on stools" cop out. They put in some good effort to do Wade Robson's original choreography justice.
9) Why was it so short? Less than 2 minutes of an almost 20 minute performance montage. The only thing I can guess is that either Justin hates acknowledging where he came from, or my guys tire out quick these days.
10) I feel like Girlfriend was a questionable song choice, and they should have done a classic. Girlfriend was one of those songs that was okay, but not iconic, not in the way "God must have spent..." or "Tearing up My Heart" both were. They had so many options. Even Gone or Pop would have done more for me than Girlfriend. However, I think they picked Bye Bye Bye for closure. To tip their hats to the past, and walk boldly into the future.
I really wasn't kidding when I said I had thoughts on this. What were some of yours???