Wednesday, August 7, 2013

They'll love you for life

Today I'm giving you a tried and true, super sweet and thoughtful bridal shower/wedding gift idea.  I got it from one of my friends at my bridal shower, and we gave it at the wedding we went to last weekend.  Let me tell you, it is a really well received gift, and you will be lauded as a hero.

You're going to give them a basket of candles with 2 candlesticks and a framed poem to explain the significance of each color of candle.  It will look something like this:


I know you're all griping about how the picture is too small to read the text... never fear, because I've typed it out for you too.  I cried and blushed when I read this at my shower, and I don't cry easily.  So, yeah.  It's a good one, and if you are the really sentimental, emotional type, just beware.

A basket of candles that comes in a pair
All different colors, for the two of you to share.

The white ones burn first, they're wrapped in lace,
To celebrate the first night in your new chosen place.

The shorter green pair are sure to be a winner,
They're to burn when your first guests come to dinner.

There are candles to burn Christmas Eve before bed,
Your first holiday season now married, that's why they're red!

The lilac candles are for after your very first fight,
Use them to burn when making up all through the night.

Pink candles will set the mood and pave the way.
For your very first married Saint Valentine's Day.

Now when your first year of marriage is through,
The cream anniversary pair will shine bright just for you.

By this time we hope that maybe, just maybe,
You could burn the yellow ones on the birth of your baby!

And just when you thought you could put these away,
Take out the light blue ones for your fifth anniversary day.

Now just one pair is left for the big "2-5",
The silver anniversary pair that keeps your love alive.

So congratulations to both of you on the start of your "forever",
May the two of you always be happy together.

Burn these candles just the way we have said,
But please don't forget... Blow them out before bed!


Truly, you can not go wrong giving this gift to any engaged or newly married couple, regardless of what is on their registry.  Almost every woman to ever walk the Earth loves candles, and special occasion candles are even more fun.  Also, it's just a special gift to open, because it isn't another set of dishes, or towels, or whatever.  It's a gift to mull over and enjoy for a few minutes, instead of just cataloging it for your thank-you notes and moving on.

What was the best wedding/shower gift you have ever given or received?

3 comments:

  1. This is the sweetest gift. I love it and am jealous my brain didn't come up with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, now I'm crying, thanks Kristen! haha :) This is so incredibly sweet, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! I will have to remember this!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)