Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Workouts lately

This is probably the longest week ever, and as I write this, it's only Tuesday.  Seriously.  However, it's been a while since I've talked about what my workouts are looking like, so I thought I would come by and tell you about it.  Don't worry, it has nothing to do with the fact that I left one of my textbooks at work and can't do homework, or that our Apple TV is refusing to stream Vampire Diaries right now.  Zero correlation there.
 
 Sheldon Cooper and Ammon say Bazinga.

On Mondays, I can literally conquer the world.  I love Mondays, and all of that fresh start bringing that they have going on.  I can get things done at work, our Monday afternoon staff meeting involves laughing for approximately 64.8% of the time, and the traffic on the drive home is minimal.  Therefore, I easily have the time and energy to get in my scheduled workout, which is a run/walk session.  This has been on the treadmill, because Colorado has officially entered an ice age.  This week's Monday workout was 40 minutes long, alternating 3 minutes of jogging with 2 minutes of walking.  At the end of it, I had gone 3.56 miles.  And truly, I felt like I belonged on the cover of a comic book or something.

Tuesday seems to have become my new designated rest [from working out] day.  I just cannot seem to bring myself to work out on Tuesdays.  I think this has a lot to do with my school schedule, and that I have homework due for 2 different classes every Wednesday.  Hard to get in a workout when you're furiously trying to finish assignments.  Also hard to get a workout in when you're trying not to bash in your computer screen.  But doesn't screaming count as a WORKOUT?  If I'm on the cover of a comic book on Mondays, then on Tuesdays they're putting my picture on a Milk carton.  Except, they totally don't do that anymore.  But you get what I'm saying, right?  So the scheduled Cross Training gets pushed back.

Wednesdays have a lot of pressure to redeem Tuesdays.  And a good amount of the time, they succeed.  In the event they succeed, I get in a workout, either another run/walk, or Cross Training, depending on how much redemption occurred.  Running is for fantabulous days, and yoga is for mediocre days.  Last week I took 2 days off in a row, and just didn't give a flip. 

Thursdays are my "just suck it up and get it done" days.  I will do the opposite workout of whatever happened on my last workout day, whenever that happened to be.  I've been really loving yoga as cross training lately, and particularly styles that emphasize holding poses for a while.  It's really helping my hips and glutes to open up.  Some weeks, Thursday has been rest day #2, but only if I work out on Wednesdays.

Fridays are always the day that I hope to make a rest day, but it almost never happens, because Tuesdays and Thursdays steal that glory.  So instead, I usually get in a run/walk after work, because it seems hard for me to get 2 in during the week before Friday.

My workout plan calls for Sundays to be a rest day, but as you can tell, I tend to take weekday rest days, and work out on the weekends.  I really actually prefer this, because I have more time, and don't feel rushed.  One day on the weekend I will cross train, either by taking Gunner for a walk, or doing yoga (again).  The other day I will do my "long" run/walk for the week.  Right now that means 4 miles, but it'll be ramping up pretty seriously before I even know what's going on.


We take our Saturday walks seriously.

And that's it, really.  It's kind of all over the place, but the goal is 3 runs a week, and 2 cross training days.  In 2 weeks it will increase to 4 runs a week, and 2 cross training days, and stay that way through the summer.  I don't believe in hard and fast rest days, but what my body is feeling like it needs most.  And hey, if that's a hot bath and wine, then I guess I'll just suffer the consequences ;).

What does your week in workouts look like?  Do you have hard and fast rest days, or do you go with the flow?

6 comments:

  1. Get it! Seriously, you inspire me. Although I've always been pretty diligent to work out, we all grow weary sometimes. Whether or not you are sporadic or in-consistent or just too busy to make time for it, you always manage to take care of that bod! Keep it up.

    And as always, it's always so wonderful to hear from you. I've loved all of your sweet words and encouraging thoughts towards me and this pregnancy. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never bring myself to workout on Tuesdays either. No real reason but laziness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bahhhh thursdays were supposed to be my rest days, but yesterday I just WAS NOT feeling the 3 mile run. The LAST thing I wanted to do was go to the gym, so... I didn't. Lol! I stayed home and curled up on the couch. I will, however, have to make up for that by going to the gym today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I read your work out posts, I'm like, "I should be like Kristen." If only we lived closer and you could kick my butt in gear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire you. Working out is tough every day of the week so props for keeping on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)