Thursday, October 10, 2013

No coffee, no world

I can't believe I'm upright today.  Tuesday morning, I started feeling really nauseated and exhausted, so on my lunch break, I took a nap.  It didn't help.  So after work, I went home and climbed into bed, and refused to move from said bed unless it as an emergency.

I am terrible to be around when I am sick.  I always have been.  When I was younger, the Doctors and Nurses used to claim that I needed to stop acting like a man, and "woman up".  I now find the whole notion of women needing to be good sick patients incredibly sexist.  It's the one day I'm allowed to whine and complain and be miserable.  I'm taking full advantage, people.

In line with taking full advantage, I had Ammon go to he store to get me my favorite sick person's meal:  saltines and ginger ale.  These two items happen to be 2 of my favorite things on the planet, even when I'm not sick, so the fact that I get to have them in nearly unlimited quantities when I am sick is like a gift from the heavens.  According to the nutritional facts, I ate approximately 15 servings of saltines Tuesday night and all day Wednesday.  I can't remember the last time my body was so carb-tastic.

Luckily the manna from heaven saltines and ginger ale did the trick, because today I can actually stomach coffee, which is my clear indicator that I am well enough to face the world again.  No coffee, no world.  I know some of you understand exactly what I mean by this.

Another fun fact:  This is only the 3rd sick day that I have taken in 3 years.  I usually go to work, even if I'm dying.  Again; if I can drink coffee, I am well enough to face the world.  Even if I can't breathe, or my head is being split down the middle by a proverbial pick-axe.

I'm really curious about how other people are when they're sick, and what they eat.  Literally, I do not move from bed unless it's an emergency, and I sleep and read like they're going out of style.  But I guess some people are trashy tv watchers?  Disinfectors?  Knock me out with cold medicine and I'm sleeping through the whole damn eventors?  Also, I hear some people don't drink ginger ale???  My best friend drinks cinnamon tea, and it totally baffles me how that can be her drink of choice.  So please... tell me all about how you are when you're sick.  I might try some of your strategies the next time I find myself ill.

8 comments:

  1. I always always always want orange juice when I'm sick. And usually my mommy, but I'm all grown up now so I refrain from calling her too many times to whine. I don't eat much when I'm sick at all - but it's usually toast. Toast is my favorite food. Saltines will work in a pinch, but I prefer toast. The first day of being sick usually means I'll lay around on the couch and read/watch tv for a while until I'm so bored I make myself clean the house just to do something. If I'm home for more then a day from being sick, the house gets a full deep cleaning. Which probably doesn't help me get better faster.

    I'm not much of a lay around all day and whine when I'm sick person. I get sick of myself in about 10 minutes of that. But I'll watch trashy tv for a few good hours and cry. I cry a lot when I'm sick.

    I missed 4 days of work last year or the year before because of the flu - that was the worst because I felt like total epic shit for the first two days, and then I just felt awful and ran a fever for the next two. =( There was much orange juice and toast that week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm glad you are feeling a little better! Enjoying/being able to contemplate the thought of enjoying a cup of coffee is a sure sign that you are on the mend! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you were sick! I'm a total anomaly because I love when I'm sick. Especially if I have a fever. When I was young, my dad thought that I faked my migraines to get out of going to school (yup), so I always had to go no matter how bad I felt. So whenever I am "actually" sick with a fever and other contagious things, I feel almost relieved. It happens so rarely though that I don't have a routine, just so much bliss like "SEE YOU GUYS??? I'M NOT LYING!!" It's honestly pathetic how happy I get having "actual" illnesses.

    Though, I'm always down for a ginger ale excuse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like ginger ale as well but with goldfish crackers (the original) and Mrs Grass soup. I like to watch marathon episodes of Stargate or How I met you mother. I usually drift in and out of sleep while watching. I never heard the expression "women up" that is hysterical. But I can attest to the fact that men are always the bigger babies as I work in a hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know how much more we just bonded because saltines and ginger ale are my go to when I'm sick? OR ANY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK? I love that combo. love love love it. And I'm glad you're feeling better. When I'm sick I do the lay in bed thing and just netflix it up if I can't sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a trashy tv watcher. If I have a fever there is just no way I can concentrate on a book. It depends on what kind of sick I am..If there is stomach trouble, I'm a "do not eat" at all ever person and drink ginger ale. If I'm recovering from stomach trouble I'll eat gluten free toast. If it's a cold and fever, I drink some lemon juice squeezed into hot water with a spoonful of honey (best tasting when it is made for you!). I'm not the best sick person, but I don't do a whole lot of whining. I just take it real easy until I'm feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sleep if it's a cold...tummy issues? saltines, jello and ginger ale or 7-up - not Sprite...or I just sleep...oh, and try to sneak in watching Ellen...because let's face it, Ellen can make any sick person feel well again:)
    Happy you're well enough to drink coffee! That is THE true indicator of good health:):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saltines and Ginger Ale!!! Yes! Also, regular coke is amazing for the flu. My mom swears it's medicinal, and I agree. I lay in bed ALL day long, and I read or watch a little tv if I'm up for it, but I usually try to sleep, because If I'm home sick, it means I barely have the energy/ability to hold a book open and read.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)