Wednesday, June 18, 2014

It's unintentional

I've been in a kind of a daze for the last few weeks.  For whatever reason, life always seems to just get more hectic in the summer.  Last year, it was the wedding, and this year it's moving, marathon training, and having a dog for the first time (and if you don't think that complicates life, get one and then reconsider).  Not necessarily bad things, just things that take up time, so much in fact that by the end of the day, I am bone tired.

We took my brother to Denver Comic Con on Saturday, and it was such a fun time.  Ammon and I chose to do this with him as his birthday present, and I think we were all so glad.  It was a very long day, but it was worth it.


I don't think I've gotten to hang out with my brother like that in years.  We don't have a lot in common, and we aren't particularly close.  It's a bummer, really.  I see/hear people talk about close relationships with siblings, and I really can't relate.  However, I feel like I did a dang good job with this birthday gift, and managed to get my brother something that he will remember for a long time.

Sunday morning I woke up tired and with achy legs.  I knew that 7 miles was not going to go down nicely, especially after the massive amounts of walking that we did at Comic Con.  My legs were not having any of it.  I reminded myself that the workouts you least need to do are the ones that you most need, and I dragged my sorry little self out the door around 8am to get business done.  In an effort to increase mental toughness, I picked the hilliest, hardest route by my house.  Because, you know, that's fun.

I wish that photos accurately depicted how much this hill sucks.  It was insanely slow, and I was cursing every other step, but I finished it with plenty of time to shower and get ready for brunch with my parents for Father's day.  You know what's better than brunch?  Brunch after running a whole mess of miles, that's what.  You get to eat all of the things without feeling the least bit guilty about it, and so I did just that.  Afterward, we made our way over to my parents' house where they ceremoniously gifted me with 2 of my all-time favorite pairs of sunglasses.

Those neon sunglasses are my favorite cycling sunglasses, and are sooooooooo comfortable.  They are Oakley's circa 1989 or so, and they are perfection.  I don't care who might make fun of them... and many people have over the years.  They're my jam.  Also, I think it's safe to blame my love of big sunglasses on my parents.  I mean, look at the sunglasses that I've been wearing my whole life, versus my current sunglasses... not a whole lot of difference.  Case and point.

Well, wow.  That just turned into an unintentional weekend update.  I had meant to write about other things, but sometimes that is just the way things go around here.  Oh well.

What kind of sunglasses do you love?

What is the hardest running route in your area like?


1 comment:

  1. I live on top of a hill, so running out is great...running back home is rough!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know how you feel, and make sure I have a way to get back with you, so we can be friends :-)